Useful free websites include:
- www.39essex.com/resources-and-training/mental-capacity-law – database of guidance notes (including as to capacity assessment), case summaries and case comments from the monthly 39 Essex Chambers Mental Capacity Law Report, to which a free subscription can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- www.mclap.org.uk – website set up by Alex Ruck Keene (a member of the MHJ research team) with forums, papers and other resources with a view to enabling professionals of all hues to ‘do’ the MCA 2005 better.
- www.mentalhealthlawonline.co.uk – extensive site containing legislation, case transcripts and other useful material relating to both the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Mental Health Act 1983. It has transcripts for more Court of Protection cases than any other site (including subscription-only sites), as well as an extremely useful discussion list.
- www.scie.org.uk/mca-directory/ – the Social Care Institute of Excellence database of materials relating to the MCA.
- www.nice.org.uk/NG108: – the NICE guideline on decision-making and mental capacity
- www.gmc-uk.org/learningdisabilities/ – extremely useful resource designed in the first instance for doctors, but of much wider application, with particularly useful practical guidance upon communication techniques.